This is a short sampler from Episode 1 and will give you good idea of how the entire episode sounds.
The first episode takes us through Beethoven’s early years in Bonn to his arrival in Vienna where he quickly establishes himself as the greatest pianist in the city. However, as the Viennese quickly found out the young lion had other things on his mind besides enthralling the city with his virtuosity. His first years in Vienna were among the happiest of his life. But while his amazing compositional powers never left him happiness soon eluded the great composer…as we hear in the second episode. The episode has a total of 13 excerpts from his music.
- First Symphony, First Movement, Munich Philharmonic Orchestra, Gunter Wand Profil PHO 6044
- Ninth Symphony, Last Movement, Eva Andor, Marta Szirmay, Gyorgy Korondy, Sando Solyom-Nagy, Budapest Chorus, Hungarian State Orchestra, Janos Ferencsik, conductor
- Septet in E-Flat, Last Movement, Turkovic, David Shifrin, Robert Routch, Joseph Silverstein, Paul Neubauer, Fred Sherry, Edgar Meyer
- Piano Sonata No. 2, Opus 31, Third Movement, Jeno Jando, Naxos 8.550150
- Rondo A Capriccio, “Rage Over a Lost Penny,” Jeno Jando, Capriccio C51123
- Piano Concerto No. 1, Third Movement, Dénes Várion, Concerto Budapest, Andras Keller, conducting, Hungaroton HCD32757-59
- Piano Sonata No. 8, “Pathetique,” First Movement, Rolf Lindblom, Proprius PRCD9094
- Piano Sonata No. 8, “Pathetique,” Third Movement, Rolf Lindblom, Proprius PRCD 9094
- Piano Sonata No. 14, “Moonlight,” First Movement, Pavlos Hatzopoulos, Haenssler Classic HC16021
- Piano Sonata No. 14, “Moonlight,” Last Movement, Pavlos Hatzopoulos, Haenssler Classic HC16021
- String Quartet No. 4, Opus 18, Fourth Movement, Petersen Quartet, Capriccio C10722
- First Symphony, Third Movement, Munich Philharmonic Orchestra, Gunter Wand Profil PHO 6044
- First Symphony, Last Movement, Munich Philharmonic Orchestra, Gunter Wand Profil PHO 6044